Chiropractic is Safe
Both drug-free and non-invasive, chiropractic is widely recognized as one of the safest forms of health care. Although no health care procedure is without some risk, chiropractic care has consistently been shown to be among the lowest risk of any health care procedure, especially when considering the large number of visits made to chiropractors each year.
Some of the facts related to the safety of chiropractic include:
- Scientific studies published in medical journals have shown that a visit to a chiropractor carries the same risk as a visit to a general practitioner.
- Neck adjusting is a specific procedure that does not damage neck tissues according to several studies.
- The percentage of the population under chiropractic care is less likely to suffer severe issues than those under other forms of health care.
- Malpractice insurance for Doctors of Chiropractic is much less expensive than that for an MD or specialist.
Doctors of Chiropractic have been trained to understand the benefits and risks associated with chiropractic care. This training helps assure patents the highest level of professional care with the lowest possible risks.
The following reports and studies can help provide perspective and answer questions:
For additional information please click on the thumbnail to the left to open the
Chiropractic is Safe website with additional resources. This site is provided as a public service by the International Chiropractors Association.
Some additional facts:
- Arterial dissection of the cervical (neck) arteries is a very rare condition occurring in 2-3 persons per 100,000 population per year. As this condition often produces neck pain and headaches, many times individuals will consult with their health care providers for advice or treatment in response to the discomfort.
- Whether a person consults a medical doctor or doctor of chiropractic, stroke can follow at an equal rate regardless of the type of provider. Epidemiologic studies over many years with millions of patients do not reveal any greater association of stroke for persons under chiropractic care compared with persons under medical care.
- In February 2016, a team of neurosurgeons at the University of Pennsylvania Hershey Medical Center published research concluding, "There is no convincing evidence to support a causal link between chiropractic manipulation and cervical artery dissection (CAD)."
- Chiropractic manipulation has shown to be safe, effective treatment for neck, mid back and lower back pain. A comprehensive review of scientific evidence noted that there is as much evidence supporting chiropractic care as for other treatments such as prescription and non-prescription drugs and surgery.
Additional Health and Wellness Articles
Here you will find a library of health and wellness articles covering a wide variety of subjects.